This was my first time baking with a "flax egg" and I was surprised how well the muffins came together and how DELICIOUS they were! About a year and a half ago I found out I was lactose intolerant so I've been gradually finding new ways to bake things without dairy and these muffins were perfect! They're soft, full of vitamin a, perfect amount of spice, and will get you excited for fall!
Whole Wheat Pumpkin Carrot Muffins
1 cup canned pumpkin
1 egg or 1 "flax egg"
3/4 cup water (only if you use a "flax egg")
1/2 cup truvia or 3/4 cup honey or 1 cup sugar
3 Tbs. applesauce (I used Trader Joes thick & chunky applesauce. Use what brand you like.)
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 cup shredded carrots
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees farenheight and spray muffin tins with nonstick cooking spray.
2. In a large mixing bowl with a spatula, mix pumpkin, choice of egg, water (for "flax egg" only),
and choice of sweetener until smooth.
3. In the pumpkin mixture, mix flour, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda, and baking powder until combined.
4. Fold in carrots and spoon into muffin tin.
5. Bake the muffins for 25 min. until toothpick inserted in center comes out almost clean.
Recipe source: ahappyharvest
My muffins are about 102 calories each. This will all depend on what kind of brands you use.